20 Quick Writing Prompts
Check out these 20 quick writing prompts that you can use for a quick writing exercise with students. One of the hardest things for any writer is to decide what to write about and to start writing. A great way to jump-start your students’ creativity is to give them a fun, quick writing prompt to get them to start writing. All the writing prompts below are easy to read and answer and are suitable for all ages, including kids, teenagers, and adults. Let’s get started.
Related: Writing Prompt Worksheets
Quick Writing Prompts
- Write about a time that you told a white lie.
- Write about the last time you had fun with your family.
- Describe your earliest memory as a child.
- Describe your best friend. What makes them special?
- Describe your favorite item of clothing?
- If you had three wishes, what would you wish for?
- What is the highlight of your week so far?
- Describe the room that you are in.
- What would you do today if I gave you a million dollars?
- Write instructions for how to make your favorite sandwich.
- Write what you would say to aliens if they visited earth.
- Write about something new you have learned in the past year.
- What is the best gift you have ever received?
- What would you do if you were king/queen for the day?
- What was the last thing that made you laugh out loud?
- If you could choose anything, what superpower would you have?
- What is the nicest thing you have ever done for someone else?
- What is the most expensive thing you have bought?
- Describe what happened the last time you were really angry.
- What one thing could you not live without?
- Describe the last time you felt scared.
- Describe what you see when you look in the mirror.
- Write about a time you were late for something.
- Describe your dream house.
- Describe your ideal day.